Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Long Beach 1 B
As I sit here and type this, the weather has since turned cold and rainy, I'm sipping on a hot Starbucks holiday drink, the Muppet Christmas Carol is on tv,  and pretending I'm a jedi by wearing the comforter from our bed is now a staple in my wardrobe.....but that won't stop me from blogging about our last trip over the summer.  Yes, I'm a tad bit late with this post, but I don't care because it's my blog and chronology means nothing here.  Along with most forms of logic and basic competency.  Welcome to the Thunderdome or PeeWee's Playhouse of the blogging world.  Any of you old enough to get those references?....................moving on......

During the last days of summer, Whitney, her parents, and I decided to join her aunt and uncle at their beach house in Long Beach, Washington, for a much needed 4 day weekend.  Growing up, I spent just about every summer at my family's old beach house in Lincoln City, Oregon, which I absolutely loved, so I was excited to relive a bit of my childhood with Whitney, as I had heard that Long Beach is a lot like Lincoln City as far as beach towns go.  If you can't tell from the above picture, Whitney and I went bananas at the candy shop that was in town and bought about 5 pounds of salt water taffy.  I'm not too big on taffy, because one day when I was about 7 years old I I decided to stuff my face with as much as I could and spent the rest of that day pleasantly puking it all up....but all the brightly colored taffy we saw at this shop was just too distracting for my short and easily manipulated attention span.  It was like eating a rainbow!  But then realizing that rainbow wasn't very flavorful.

I also bought Zotz......lots and lots of Zotz.

Long Beach 2
It was about a 4 hour drive from Seattle to Long Beach, mostly through beautiful wooded highways....Whitney made sure that she drove the entire trip because she gets car sick easily unless she's driving, giving me plenty of opportunities to catch her bopping out to Taylor Swift or the Weepies, which she doesn't like me doing, but she's just so darn adorable when she does it!


As soon as we got there, the puppies had to explore their new and unknown surroundings and smell every smelly smell that smelled....here's Whitney and Momo in action!

Long Beach 4
Long Beach 6
Long Beach 8
This is the view from the deck of the house that we were staying at.  It was only a 5 minute walk from the house to the beach!

Long Beach 10
Long Beach 24
The beach was gorgeous and perfect!!!  What I hated about the beach in Lincoln City, was that there was always some loud idiot who, despite how empty the beach was, would sit as close as possible to you and ruin any serene enjoyment you planned on having.  That was definitely not the case here, considering how vast and open the beach was.....although if that situation were to somehow arise during our Long Beach vacation, I was fully prepared to take that person's belongings and throw them in the ocean.  They can consider it a generous donation to the underwater city of Bikini Bottom and it's King, Aquaman.

We stopped at a local drugstore, where Whitney found a cheap plastic kite that she was so excited to fly at the beach, but ran into a few bumps along the way:

Long Beach 11 B
Long Beach 9 B
Long Beach 12 B
No joke, those were the exact directions.  Granted, it is just a kite (not to mention the simplest form of a kite) and shouldn't be too complicated for two highly educated adults....but we must of just had a momentary instance of poo-brain because we put it together wrong multiple times.  We're an accountant and a freelance artist, not kite makers.

After many hours of intense brainstorming and over-thinking, utilizing complex mathematical theorems, we finally got it right and enjoyed and exhilarating 3 minutes of flying it until we got bored with it.  The end.

Long Beach 19
Long Beach 22
Long Beach 20
Long Beach 17
I took it as a challenge to see how far up I could get the kite, considering it came with like a mile worth of string.  I mean, why give you that much string, if not to use all of it?  That's what I do, I push the limits and ask the real tough questions in life....and I get results damn it.

Long Beach 23
Well it turns out there was only about 10 feet of string....but that's pretty extreme too.........extreme enough to boost the current level of fun at the time from "non-existent" to "moderate."  Look out!  There's a scary pirate on that kite!  He's saying "Arrrrgh!  This kite be high, says I."

Long Beach 16
Whitney and her mom also made an awesome sand castle!  They're a couple of Apollodorus's of Damascus, those two!  The oculus is a little off and the top two spires on the dome kind of make it look like a crab, but other than that, it's like being at the doorstep of the Pantheon itself!  Or so I assume.

Long Beach 18
Long Beach 26
Long Beach 27
Long Beach 25
A couple of weeks earlier, Conan O'Brian posted a picture of himself on his Twitter, standing in front of this giant frying pan in Long Beach....so walking past it, Whitney knew she had to take a picture with it!  It was like meeting the Flaming C himself!!!

The rest of the trip was spent eating burgers, watching UW football, playing board games, spotting local wildlife, consuming massive amounts of discontinued candy, and going on some of the most enjoyable walks in my life with Whitney and the puppies.  In between all of that however, I was attached to Whitney's iPad the whole trip, trying to beat the game Army of Darkness Defense, based off of the third and final movie of the Evil Dead trilogy (Bruce Campbell and that movie is such a huge part of my childhood!!!).  Other than that, I was fully immersed and one with mother nature.

It was nice to get away for a long weekend since Whitney and I have been working extremely hard for more than a year without any breaks really (Thailand doesn't really count for me).  We've already started planning for our next vacation sometime in the first half of 2012, and so far we have narrowed it down to San Diego for comic-con, Hawaii, or Disneyland/Disneyworld!

I hope you enjoyed our little reminder of summer!  Anyone out there have plans for their next vacation?  We would love to hear what fun you'll be getting into!

No comments:

Post a Comment